Sunday, August 30, 2009

Our fill of fish and fishing

Saturday morning we packed the van after a rainy night and headed out through Anchorage and onto Seward 375 miles away. Seward is where many of the cruise ships dock and vacationers will take the Alaskan train to Anchorage or on to Denali National Park. We reserved a campsite at Millers Landing, which is really a fishing lodge with campsites and cabins. As the tents and the ground were wet and the cabin was only marginally more we took a bunk house with heater for 2 nights. Oh it was so nice sleeping on a bed mattress last night. We scouted out the place and the boys lined up a guide for some silver salmon fishing in the morning. Dinner was fresh halibut and salmon at the lodge, where on Saturday nights there is a big fish feed for $7/plate. Its popular, I guess about 25 locals and guests chowed down either on the porch or around the warm stove. This was a real treat.
Ed and Wayne returned from successful fishing with enough fish to feed us for weeks. Ed's arms and shoulders were so sore pulling in the big salmon that he cried uncle. Good pictures coming later when I get to Vancouver on Sept 9.

1 comment:

  1. My Dad doesn't know this about me but in my former life I retrieved fish instead of newspapers! Wish you guys had taken me, I woulda shown you how to grab em out of mid air.
    That cabin sounded good, mattresses are one of man's better inventions along with the shower, socks and pigs ears to chew on (we never woulda thought of that).
    Frank's Nephew Bo

    ReplyDelete